Veteran’s Marker

On May 13, 2008 the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs amended policy so that a government-furnished marker may be provided for a veteran’s grave even if it is already marked with a private monument. This Second Headstone policy is now permanent and also retroactive to eligible veteran deaths occurring on or after November 1, 1990.

Any deceased veteran, discharged under conditions other than dishonorable, is eligible for the Veteran’s Marker. Specific details can be found on the General Information Sheet that accompanies the Application for Standard Government Headstone or Marker.

The completed Application and copy of the deceased veteran’s discharge papers are necessary to order a Marker. Items 1-18 of the Application are to be completed before submission to the Cemetery for further processing. If the discharge papers cannot be located, military service records can be requested using the SF180 sheet. To obtain the Application, SF180, or for additional information, visit The Department of Veterans Affairs National Cemetery Administration web site at You may also contact our Cemetery office at 908.756.1729 for all government forms.

The Cemetery permits only the flat granite and flat bronze markers, which are set flush at the foot of a veteran’s grave. See price list for current charges for foundations.

Use this link to print the Claim for Standard Government Headstone or Marker –

Upon completion, processing and approval of the Application the marker will be delivered to the Cemetery. Written confirmation will be sent after the marker has been received and set on the Veteran’s grave.

A Presidential Memorial Certificate is an engraved paper certificate, signed by the current President, to honor the memory of honorably discharged deceased veterans. Click here for more information

(Veteran’s Markers are not permitted in Sections E-4 Memorial Gardens and B-3 Cremorial Gardens) (military, fraternal and other emblems can be accommodated on bronze cremorial niche plates) foundation charges subject to change without notice